August 2, 2010

Potty Training.

This past weekend, we went to a friend's house to have dinner and watch to Deke and their little boy, J play together. While I was there, I noticed that J had his own potty in the restroom. I was intrigued and wondered to myself if it actually was working for them. Jessica told me that Little J had yet to "do his business" in the toilet, but it sounded like they were on the right track to potty training him. It got my curiosity stirring, so I decided to start doing some in depth research on the internet and discovered that you can start potty training at around 18 months. Also, if they show signs of being ready then that's a good indication it's time to give it a try (which Deke has shown signs here and there). So, last night we made a trip to Target and got Deke all ready for his potty training experience.


Here's the new potty. It's a BabyBjorn Potty Chair and it got outstanding reviews on both Amazon.com and Target.com. Everything I read basically said this was the best one on the market and to not waste money on anything else. To be honest, I really don't see what so great about it. It's very standard and nothing special about it, but the good reviews were overwhelming.

We also bought him this step stool to help him reach the sink. I thought since we'll be "using the potty", that would also be a good time to teach him to wash his hands after every visit to the bathroom :) So far, he understands how to put the soap on, it's the rinsing off part that he's not getting. Instead, he likes to take his soapy little hands and rub them on the mirror :) Gotta love boys!!

So, I wasn't going to attempt potty training today. I needed to locate his cloth diapers and I was still doing some research. My plan was to start tomorrow. However, Deke had a different plan. Right after his nap, I went into the bathroom and Deke came walking in and pointed to his potty and said "Whas dat"? I told him it was his potty and ask if he wanted to sit on it. He walked right over and sat down by himself. Feeling like he wanted to go, I took his diaper off and would you believe it if I told you he did a #1 all by himself, the very first time?? Well, he did!!! I was so excited :) Since I didn't have a treat on hand, his reward was one of my Oreo's ( I may have messed up here but oh well). I'm also pretty bummed that I didn't get a picture of it, but I hadn't planned for him to actually "go". There was a lot of praising and hugs this morning and I'm hoping that he continues to take interest in his potty :) Tomorrow starts full on Potty Training Round 1. Wish us luck!!!